Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Romance and Politics | The Chasm by S. Usher Evans

I know, I know. I'm on a blogging haitus. I'm taking a quick break from my break to post my review of The Chasm since it releases today! *throws confetti everywhere and celebrates*


*I received an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
They survived The Island, but can they cross The Chasm?

Four months after Prince Galian was discovered alive on a remote island, he's adjusting slowly to life at the hospital under the Kylaen media's glare. His promises to Theo remain unfulfilled as fear of his father keeps him from taking concrete action. And the more he learns about the machinations in Kylae, the less sure he is that it's possible to make a difference.

Across the great Madion Sea, Major Theo Kallistrate struggles to navigate the tricky political waters of Rave's presidential staff. To make positive change for her people, she must remain relevant and interesting to the Raven media and to the president. When he asks her to deliver a speech on her supposed two-month imprisonment at Mael, she's not sure she can stomach the lies.

The Chasm is S. Usher Evans' breathtaking, fast-paced follow-up to The Island, which readers say is "not to be missed.

Note: you can save a little by buying directly from Sush's website!

*Released July 12th 2016 from Sun's Golden Ray Publishing*

It took me a while to get into The Chasm (partially because I was in a reading slump), but once things started Happening--vague, I know--I got more into the story.

(Er...the next part is a little spoilery if you haven't read book one. Skip the next paragraph if you want to avoid that.)

I continued to enjoy the romance, though I was a little sad that there was so little of it. I got used to seeing constantly interact in book one, so seeing Theo and Galian separated made me eager for any scenes where one would even see the other in the news. The moments they DID see each other we're absolutely wonderful! I could barely pull myself away from the book then. They were that loveable! I loved that the distance between them didn't deteriorate their love for each other. Even though I didn't like seeing them separated, I have to grudgingly admit that it was good for the series. They had to take actions against the war and Mael individually in order to make an effective impact and to grow as characters. 


(Okay, coast is clear of spoilery bits of book one.)

Galian...oh, Galian. He was still the reckless prince who wears his heart on his sleeve that many fans of the series adores. He didn't make the most calculated of decisions, but he worked harder to make a difference. I didn't like his voice quite as much as Theo's, but I really liked his heart and passion. Now that I'm thinking about it, his personality made me more interested in events from his perspective. When it came to Theo, I really liked her voice and character growth. Her Raven loyalties were tested as she learned more and more about the leadership in her country, but she wasn't the type of person to turn her back on her home.

I really liked getting to know the supporting characters, as they didn't show up as much as in The Island. Kaden was one of my favorites, especially because his interactions with Galian added a nice bit of humor to the book. He had this gruff attitude that was so obviously different from Galian's. Rhys surprised me. I don't remember my impression of him from book one, but I was happy to see his continuous support for his brother, despite repeatedly telling him not to do stupid stuff. But really, Galian needed those warnings...even if he didn't listen to them. The queen was an awesome character as well! She had this regal, powerful air (well duh, Kaitlin, she's a queen) to her. It was interesting to see just how deep her hand was in politics.

And oh, politics. It's time to talk about why my real rating is 3.5 stars. I tend to get bored with politics in books and this wasn't as exception. This book definitely had more of it than the first, which is expected considering the fact that more characters and settings were shown. I did slowly get more into the politics when twists and danger were thrown into the mix, though! The high stakes--INTENSE SCENES, BY THE WAY--just made things more exciting. Actually, I'm not sure if I did get more into the politics or if I forgot that I wasn't thrilled with them because other things distracted me. It was probably the latter...when there wasn't an immediate threat in a more politically focused part, I wasn't as eager to keep reading.


Overall, The Chasm was a nice sequel! Even though I had trouble getting into the political side of the story, I enjoyed revisiting the world and cast of characters. If you like a series with a good-sized dose of romance and politics in the midst of a nicely developed, ugly war, you should be considering this one!


Rating: 4 stars


*cleans up all the confetti thrown in celebration and returns to haitus*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.