Sunday, August 21, 2016

An Impeccably Written Story That You Need In Your Life | Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow (Sunday Street Team)

Sunday Street Team is organized by Nori @ ReadWriteLove28. SST is a cross between a blog tour and street team for a couple different titles each month. As the title suggests, the posts go up on Sundays!

Go here to learn more about SST.


I'm so excited to post this review! This is one of those books that is hard to give justice in a review because of how fantastic it is. I'm so happy to be a part of its SST. ☺

*I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Charlotte Davis is in pieces. At seventeen she’s already lost more than most people lose in a lifetime. But she’s learned how to forget. The thick glass of a mason jar cuts deep, and the pain washes away the sorrow until there is nothing but calm. You don’t have to think about your father and the river. Your best friend, who is gone forever. Or your mother, who has nothing left to give you.

Every new scar hardens Charlie’s heart just a little more, yet it still hurts so much. It hurts enough to not care anymore, which is sometimes what has to happen before you can find your way back from the edge.

*Releasing August 30th from Delacorte Press*

Let's say that you were only allowed to read one contemporary YA for the rest of the year. If you're reading this, you're might be a fan of this genre and are thinking ONLY ONE BOOK? *cue sounds of despair* I know, only one would be tough. My highest recommendation would be to make that one book Girl in Pieces! Charlie is a wonderful and well developed character. Her story is a powerful and heartbreaking and 100 percent worth reading. It seems like it's handled very well, too, in case anyone is worried about that. The majority of early readers are LOVING this one. I'm definitely not the only one highly praising it.

I'm breaking this review into five parts of the story that stood out to me and I was able to write coherently about.

1. The Impeccable Writing

I fell in love with this book within pages. I already had pretty high expectations because the cover, description, and genre combination screams Kaitlin Book, but even with that, I was surprised to love it so QUICKLY. That was because of the writing style. It was patchy, in a way. Like the beginning of Charlotte's was being told in pieces. Details were slowly revealing themselves and it felt so fitting for the book that it kicked it off perfectly. I don't recall it staying patchy (it's been awhile since I read it and I didn't make any specific notes on a change...), but writing felt impeccable throughout the book! There are soooo many quotable moments. I want to get my own copy so I can go back through it and mark all the sentences and phrases that just felt so...freakin' angelic. If you read the book, you'll understand why I use the word angelic... ;)

(This is the part where I should probably share some quotes, but I don't quote ARCs. Plus, I don't have the book anymore.)

2. The Realness of the Characters

The characters are fantastic!! So many of them seemed to be familiar with pain and darkness--either through being intuitive to others' feelings, currently living through it, or having lived through it in the past. I'm actually not going to go into detail on the individual characters, partially because I just don't know how to explain them well enough. I will say that the author brought them to life, though. And I'm not just talking about the main characters and the supporting characters that show up the most. No, I'm also talking about the ones that have a fleeting presence. The attention the author gives to everyone makes them feel like they can climb straight from the pages. 

Even though this is Charlie's story, many of the other characters' stories are shared. Maybe we aren't given as intimate of a look into their lives, but it's enough of a glimpse that makes it feel like EVERYONE mattered. Doctors, artists, co-workers, older friends, new friends, hospital patients. People. Which was one of the points of the points of this book, I think. You matter. Your story matters. Your scars matter. Everyone matters. The realness makes this book incredibly impactful. It's not just the story or the writing or the themes; it was all of that plus the seemingly tangible characters.

Now that I'm thinking of this again a couple months later, I'm even more impressed with the characters. There are a lot of people in this book, yet it never felt like there were too many. Everyone is given an appropriate amount of attention, but it never felt crowded to me.

3. SO MANY GOOD THEMES AND FOCUSES
  • Being in pieces and finding a moment to start putting them back together in a new way
  • Scars and letting them be visible
  • Your role in the awful stuff
  • The pain in the world
  • Bettering yourself
  • Figuring out who is good for you
  • Self harm and mental illness
I know I'm missing some, but these were the ones that stood out to me the most!

4. It's Not "Romantic"

Okay, there's romance. Some of it. Really, I mean romance in the sense that Charlie feels romantic feelings and dates, but not in the swoonworthiness-and-sexual-tension sense. Does that make sense? It's an unhealthy aspect of Charlie's story that plays a huge role in both her setbacks and her growth. Their relationship made me angry at times, but I really liked watching it unfold and affect both characters. It has an interesting role in the conclusion. *trying to be as vague as possible because the ending is fantastic and I don't want to hint at much*

5. It Will Tear Your Heart Apart and Put it Back Together Again

I find this appropriate since Charlie is kind of in pieces in the beginning, but she works on putting herself back together. You're in for a book where one bad thing happens after another. The author doesn't hold back. Things get ugly and painful and bitter and upsetting and sad. So...it's not a "happy" read, but some of the steps that Charlie (and other characters) makes left me feeling happy for her. *still trying to be vague as I reference the conclusion* I felt satisfied when I finished this book.

Overall, you should definitely pick up Girl in Pieces! It's painful and gritty, but it manages to be a very beautiful--story that I see going well with the majority of those that give it a try. I'm already looking forward to rereading it and experiencing Kathleen Glasgow's fantastic writing again!

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
About Kathleen Glasgow
Kathleen Glasgow lives in Tucson, Arizona. She writes for the radio show The Writer's Almanac and can probably provide you with some interesting anecdotes about historical literary figures if you asked nicely. You can find out more about Kathleen by following her on Twitter: @kathglasgow, Instagram, @misskathleenglasgow (where she posts about sunsets, depression, spirit circles, and books) or her website: kathleenglasgowbooks.com.
Resources
If you or someone you know is struggling and needs help, please consider contacting:

Crisis Text Line: Text START to 741-741
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
To Write Love on Her Arms: https://twloha.com/find-help/local-resources/
National Runaway Hotline: 1-800-621-4000
Giveaway

Happy Reading! ~ Kaitlin ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.