Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Favorite First Sentences | Top 5 Wednesday


It's time for another Top 5 Wednesday! ☺ This is hosted by Sam @ Thoughts on Tomes. Topics and info are posted in the Goodreads group, in case you want to look further into this.

This week's topic is . . .

Favorite First Sentences

Ooh, this was is HARD. I don't remember quotes well, much less first sentences, so I had to do some digging for a couple of these. I dug around for some of these, but the first two immediately came to my mind because of how memorable they are.

"Life is bullshit." ~ We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson
The moment I opened this book and spotted that sentence was the moment this book became one of my favorites of the year. I KNEW the rest of the book was going to be great. You immediately get the sense of where Henry's head is at. The ending sentence is great too, though much less blunt.
"Shoot me, I like sex." ~ Carry Me Home by Lia Riley 
Can you tell that I love opening sentences that get straight to the point? They're so small, yet so memorable! I haven't even read this book yet...but that sentence is so memorable that it's where my interest in all her books stems from.

"Max's life of crime started poorly, with the theft of a glittery pink bobblehead in the shape of a cat." ~ Hellhole by Gina Damico
Gina Damico writes very weird stories and characters and I love them! I've still only read two--Croak and Hellhole--but I own a couple more. Her first sentences give you a strong impression of the tone and the weirdness that the story will have. The opening of Hellhole makes me laugh. :D
"If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book." ~ The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
Ha! I love how Lemony Snicket immediately warns you about the story (like you're really going to listen to that suggestion). Warnings like this one are brought up over and over throughout the series and that's always been a memorable part of it for me. 
"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." ~ Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
When in doubt, include Harry Potter. This is where it alllll started, after all. :)

What is one of your favorite first sentences? Please feel free to leave a link to your own Top 5 Wednesday post/video/photo so I can check it out!

Happy Reading! ~ Kaitlin ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.