Wednesday, August 3, 2016

I've Done a Lot of Binge Watching | Anime Update

I have so much to update on anime! I wanted to do one in June, but I was already feeling like I was in my haitus at the moment. It feels like this is a bi-monthly feature anyway. :D I usually include MyAnimeList links and the number of episodes in each anime, but now I'm adding sub or dub to indicate whether I watched it in Japanese with subtitles or in English. And since I usually use the English titles when I chat with offline friends, I will be including those along with the original title.

Also, this includes all the anime series I've finished between March 20 and July 21, 2016.
Finished Anime
Fruits Basket (26 ep - dub) - This went mostly well with me. Tooru was a great character, though there were times when I disconnected from the show. The idea of the Souma family members temporarily turning into animals of the Chinese zodiac was really cool. I also liked seeing how the characters interacted with one another.

Soul Eater (51 ep - dub) - Besides FMA, this is the longest anime I've seen! I don't binge-watch anime often, but once I was hooked into this one, I had to keep going! The art is WONDERFUL. I fell in love with the show quickly because it was so nice to look at. And I loved the world and the characters. And the idea of some humans turning into weapons! The plot became a bit spotty for me; I wasn't always into what happening. A big reason I watched this so quickly was because I was watching the dubbed version, which was done pretty well!

Hataraku Maou-sama! / The Devil is a Part-Timer! (13 ep - sub) - I wasn't a big fan of this one, unfortunately. I went into this one expecting a hilarious anime because friends told me that it was funny, but I didn't find it that funny. It fell flat for me because of that. I liked the characters, though.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! / Maid-Sama! (26 ep - sub) - Haha, this was a lot of fun! Misaki was an awesome character who grew quite a bit throughout the show. She was already a force to be reckoned with at the beginning, but she gained some great friendships that helped her become even better. I wasn't as into the romance as much as I was into the friendship and school parts.

Kuroshitsuji II / Black Butler II (12 ep - dub) - I think I was once given the advice to quit season one halfway through and move on to Book of Circus and now I'm kinda regretting not doing that... I still loved the characters and the art, but didn't love the story of this sequel. Or maybe it was just unsatisfying ending because I DID like the direction of the story . . . for six or seven episodes.



Shingeki no Kyojin / Attack on Titan (25 ep - sub) - EEEP, okay. This is the best anime I've seen so far! I would say it's my favorite, but I need to see if it remains memorable. I watched this in two days because I absolutely had to know what would happen next! I wouldn't necessarily say the story is fast paced since each major battle or conflict were covered by several episodes, but there's the action is very fast and exciting. I was in constant fear of the characters' lives! And oh, I do love the characters, especially Mikasa and Levi. The art was fantastic! I say this is the best anime I've seen so far because it kept me engaged and whatever flaws I noticed didn't affect how much I enjoyed it (not like they usually do). To cope with not having another season yet, I ordered a bunch of the manga that pick up after the end of season one.

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (TV) / Assassination Classroom (22 ep - sub) - I feel really lucky that I watched this and Attack on Titan around the same time because they're both FANTASTIC. Here's part of the synopsis:
When a mysterious creature chops the moon down to a permanent crescent, the students of class 3-E of Kunugigaoka Middle School find themselves confronted with an enormous task: assassinate the creature responsible for the disaster before Earth suffers a similar fate. However, the monster, dubbed Koro-sensei (the indestructible teacher), is able to fly at speeds of up to Mach 20, which he demonstrates freely, leaving any attempt to subdue him in his extraterrestrial dust. Furthermore, the misfits of 3-E soon find that the strange, tentacled beast is more than just indomitable—he is the best teacher they have ever had!
SOUNDS COOL, RIGHT? Koro-sensei is unlike any character I've ever seen.  I mean, just look at that yellow guy in the picture. It was so much fun watching the class learn assassination techniques and apply them in plans to kill their teacher, who was very encouraging of their efforts, by the way. The show has a pretty upbeat feel, despite the topic.

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (TV) 2nd Season / Assassination Classroom 2nd season (25 ep - sub) - I liked this season a little more than the first! It still had its upbeat feel, but there were more intense moments and a lot of feels. The first season is more focused on building their skills, so there's a lot of training. There's still training in season two, but it's more about honing their skills and focusing on their strengths. That left more room for some of the characters' backstories. I loved the class so, SO much and was very sad to see the anime come to an end.

Finally Finished After Months of Watching!
I had put a couple anime on hold for months and have finally finished them!

Fullmetal Alchemist (51 ep - dub) - I put this on pause because I didn't have a working laptop to watch it on. I could've easily watched it on my tv, but I was stubborn. Anyway, once I got my new laptop, I took the opportunity to finish the last 10 or so episodes I had left. I know pretty much everyone would say to just skip it because Brotherhood is way better and FMA doesn't stick to the manga nearly as well, but whatever. I really liked FMA! I do intend to read the manga, watch the movies, and watch Brotherhood. 

giphy
Nagi no Asukara / A Lull in the Sea (26 ep - dub/sub) - I finished up this anime by finally watching the last five or six episodes this month. The thing about this one is that, even though it's so PRETTY and has a beautiful story, the second half bored me. I binge-watched the first half (dubbed) in a day because my friend had a disk, but I had to switch to Crunchyroll (subbed was only option for me) afterwards. I had such a hard time getting into the changes in the story and I didn't feel like paying enough attention to read subtitles, so I spent months on a dozen-ish episodes. It was still a good anime. Just prepare for a slow-moving plot.

Currently Watching
I'm watching two summer shows: Orange and Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara / Food Wars season 2! Orange is pretty good. The first episode started out slowly, but the second episode had me tearing up a little. Food Wars is going okay. I found the last several episodes of season one to be repetitive because of the competition they were undergoing (in other words: even more cooking than usual) and season two has kicked off with cooking duels and I just hope the entire season isn't going to be just duels.


Phew! I had a lot to say! :D I'm pretty happy with my anime choices lately. 

Happy Reading and Happy Watching! ~ Kaitlin ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.