Friday, August 12, 2016

When Constantly Second Guessing is a GOOD THING | He Will Be My Ruin by K.A. Tucker

I'm testing out a new element on my review posts! I'm including discussion prompts at the bottom so that you can comment on something more/other than the book if you wish. ☺

It's about time I've read and reviewed this one! This was the ninth K.A. Tucker book I've read and it ended up being one of my favorites of hers. If I were to rank the books, I would probably put this as the third or fourth from the top. It was EXCITING.

*I received an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
A woman who almost had it all . . .

On the surface, Celine Gonzalez had everything a twenty-eight-year-old woman could want: a one-bedroom apartment on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, a job that (mostly) paid the bills, and an acceptance letter to the prestigious Hollingsworth Institute of Art, where she would finally live out her dream of becoming an antiques appraiser for a major auction house. All she had worked so hard to achieve was finally within her reach. So why would she kill herself?

A man who was supposed to be her salvation . . .

Maggie Sparkes arrives in New York City to pack up what’s left of her best friend’s belongings after a suicide that has left everyone stunned. The police have deemed the evidence conclusive: Celine got into bed, downed a lethal cocktail of pills and vodka, and never woke up. But when Maggie discovers a scandalous photograph in a lock box hidden in Celine’s apartment, she begins asking questions. Questions about the man Celine fell in love with. The man she never told anyone about, not even Maggie. The man Celine believed would change her life.Until he became her ruin.

On the hunt for evidence that will force the police to reopen the case, Maggie uncovers more than she bargained for about Celine’s private life—and inadvertently puts herself on the radar of a killer. A killer who will stop at nothing to keep his crimes undiscovered. 

*Released February 2nd 2016 from Atria Books*

I read this book at the perfect time! I was in a meh reading mood and picked a random old ARC to start, and was so happy when I found myself getting really into the story of He Will Be My Ruin. I was constantly second guessing my theories! I foolishly thought I had everything figured out early on, but as the book progressed and the plot got thicker and more complicated, I kept trying to alter my theory. It was driving me nuts because I just wanted to see if I got anything right!! Near the end, I grew very paranoid and every little action from any character made me super suspicious. I take this kind of reading experience to be a really good sign that the author executed a mystery/thriller very well. It made me very happy that this book got to me so much! It had been awhile since I read something with a mystery that kept me on my toes as much as this book did. Actually, the ones I had recently tried disappointed me. That made me appreciate He Will Be My Ruin more.

Oh, so there's other parts to this book than a good mystery and intense scenes? Right? I have to admit that I didn't pay as much attention to everything else. Whoops. I was so caught up in the mystery! I will say that the characters did seem full of surprises, though. No one was who they seemed to be, except maybe Maggie. She felt headstrong throughout the novel, but she didn't seem to change the much. Well, she became more cautious. Can you blame her? Ruby was a delightful woman. She was Celine's perceptive, elderly neighbor. With all the secrets and lies surrounding everyone else, it was nice that such a nice and funny person had a big presence in the story. It added a bright spot to the book!

If you want a mystery/thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat as you try to figure out what the heck the answer is, I highly recommend He Will Be My Ruin! The author did a great job keeping the story surprising and addicting.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Discussion Prompt
He Will Be My Ruin kept me second guessing myself and I loved that! So, I'm wondering . . . 

Do you like constantly second guessing yourself throughout a mystery or would you rather only second guess yourself occasionally? Does that vary according to the nature of the mystery?

Happy Reading! ~ Kaitlin ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.