Thursday, September 1, 2016

Creative, Though Not Exactly Memorable | The Rule of Mirrors by Caragh M. O'Brien


I finally got to this sequel! My review is spoiler free, so you can read it without having read the first book. Though this also means my review is a bit vague...

*I received an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Description is full of spoilers for book one, so if you haven't read that, just scroll on by.
At the remote, exclusive Chimera Centre, families of coma patients come from all over the world seeking miracles. When Althea Flores wakes up from a six-month coma, her recovery defies the limits of hope and science—except she can’t remember anything about her own life. Instead, she has all the memories of Rosie Sinclair, the missing Forge Show star, and she’s pregnant.

Far from the Chimera Centre, in a secret vault, the sleeping body of Rosie Sinclair is captive to the doctors who mine her dreams. Heavily sedated, Rosie struggles to awaken and manipulate her keeper for a chance to escape. She knows what she’ll do once she’s free—wreak vengeance on Dean Berg, the man who stole her dreams and turned her life into a nightmare.

Told in alternating points of view between the girl who has Rosie’s consciousness in a new, pregnant body, and the girl whose shattered subconscious rules Rosie’s old body, the second installment of The Vault of Dreamers trilogy is an intricate, psychologically thrilling novel about layers of identity, what lies in the mirror, and the link between body and soul.

*Released February 16th 2016 from Roaring Brook Press*

I don't have much to say about this one. . . . I do think it was stronger than The Vault of Dreamers, though I don't remember the first book very well. I reread my review for it and I guess I was frustrated with quite a few things--like the main character, her inner voice, and the ending--but I didn't experience that with the sequel! I just felt a little disconnected towards the end. I clearly wasn't gripped by the story because I left the book at 94 percent for over a week before going back to it. Whoops.

Anyway, I really like how this book was set up and how the psychological elements were handled. The title sure played a large role, considering how the main characters were pretty much mirrors of each other. I liked that there was this struggle of finding your true self while you're not at home in your body. The way the author showed that was definitely interesting. And creative! I loved how new the concepts were to me and how they didn't feel like things I've seen over and over again in other books with a focus. But then again, I don't read science fiction very often.

I wouldn't say this was that exciting of a book or a very memorable one since I, uh . . . forgot a lot during the break I took from it. I definitely liked reading it, but I didn't feel like I absolutely HAD to know what would happen next.

Overall, The Rule of Mirrors was stronger than its predecessor, but it didn't feel more exciting or memorable. My favorite part was definitely the creative concepts and how they were handled. I liked reading it and am excited to read the third book, but I do wish this series wasn't so easy to forget. . . .

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Discussion Prompt
I struggled writing this review because I didn't remember enough to write a more in depth about it. but part of it had to do with the fact that it was a sequel. Sometimes I find it tough to write about sequels! My review tends to be shorter than that of the first book because I seem to focus mainly on comparing the two books and any new developments. So, my question is . . . 

Do you find it a little tougher to review sequels than first books in series? Do you tend to write less about a sequel, even if you do include spoilery bits?

Happy Reading! ~ Kaitlin ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.