Monday, September 12, 2016

Science Fiction Books I Like | Monthly Recommendations

Monthly Recommendations is a Goodreads group created by booktubers Kayla from Kayla Rayne and Trina from Between Chapters! There's a new theme every month where members can share recommendations for on their channels, blogs, etc. It's a very laid back feature where you can share your recs anytime during the month and can include any number of books you want!

This month's theme is science fiction! I oftentimes consider this my least favorite genre because it tends to be hit or miss for me. A lot of the sci-fi I do end up liking have a large romance focus or light scientific elements, so my recs are probably best suited for those of you that aren't very into the genre. And while I do love Saga, the Lunar Chronicles, and Illuminae and recommend all of them, I'm going to recommend some less hyped books!


Light on the Science Fiction
These books have a more contemporary feel to them (though one is set in an alternate world) and have a sci-fi element that heavily influences the main character. 
In We are the Ants, Henry has been being abducted by aliens since he was 13 and has been given the decision to press a button and save the world or just allow the world to be destroyed. But he isn't sure if he really should save the world. Other than that, it's really just a contemporary about a teenage guy trying to find a point in life as he deals with family members, grief, bullies, and dating. Science facts and fun/scary/odd theories of the end of the world were mixed in as well.

Charisma has more science in it than We Are the Ants, but the sci-fi is much lighter than the other books I will mention in this post. It's a thriller where the main character take a gene therapy drug called Charisma to get over her extreme shyness. As the name suggests, it gives her more charisma. But then things go wrong and the result is a contagious disease. There's a lot of exploration of ethics and focus on ways to change yourself. 

Well-Known But Published 8+ Years Ago
Unwind is a disturbing read. I mean, just read this part of the synopsis: "Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end." It follows three teens that cross paths when they're on the run or are headed towards a place to be unwound. It's a good thriller as well as a dystopia/sci-fi read.

Uglies kicks off one of my old favorite series! I haven't read it in a long time, but I did love the characters and the world they were in. It has more sci-fi type items--like hoverboards--than most of the other books on this post. I really like the concepts and beauty related themes in the series. If you don't know, this book is set in a world where you get plastic surgery at 16 to go from "ugly" to "pretty." and follows a character whose friend runs away.

Space and Other Planets!!
In Double Life, Lyssa is a space excavator who analyzes planets and then sells them, but she has a secret life as a pirate/bounty hunter named Razia and is trying to prove her worth. It's a really cool, fun book! Plus, it's FREE. And less than 300 pages. I read it in one day. (Do I sound like a broken record yet? I feel like I've been pushing the Razia series all year. Actually, I have. :D)

I guess These Broken Stars can be considered a hyped book, but since the series ended, I don't see many people talking about it. Anyway, this starts out on a "spaceliner" and then there's a crash and a girl and a boy end up stuck on a planet together and they're all alone (I think) and lots of banter happens and then romance happens and some sciency stuff happens as well. I loved this book! I don't know how great the sci-fi elements are, but I sure loved the romance!

I'm adding Avalon because of all the twists and turns it has. It's one of the most exciting and fun sci-fi books I've read. Apparently it has Firefly influences, but I've never seen that show. If you're looking for a fast-paced read, Avalon is a good one to try. 

Time Travel
Loop was so, so much fun! I'm not sure how to describe it plot wise, but this book will take you through lot of twists and turns and loops. Bree is a time traveling student that makes a lot of mistakes when she goes back in time. Finn is a guy from a couple centuries before her time that has dated Bree's future self. There are also people attacking time travelers and the two characters work on solving the mystery. I adored this book!

Have you read any of these books? What science fiction books do you recommend to me? I don't read them very often, but I want to try more of them!

This post is kind of a two-parter. Today was about recommendations and tomorrow I'll have a post where I go into more detail about my thoughts on the genre.

Happy Reading! ~ Kaitlin ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.