Tuesday, October 4, 2016

11 Random Songs I've Been Listening To

Heyy, long time no see! I haven't posted here in awhile (I simply didn't have any content ready to post or a desire to make any), but I've been wanting to share some music that I've been loving lately. Plus, I missed the music themed Top Ten Tuesday . . . and I really wanted to post for that. There's SO MANY SONGS I WANT TO INCLUDE, but since I want to keep this brief-ish, I'm turning my Spotify* on shuffle to help choose artists/songs/albums that way instead of trying to settle on a theme.

*I broke up with Rhapsody (now Napster) after having it for, what, eight or nine years? I discovered that the Korean music selection was WAY better on Spotify and now that's my preferred way of streaming music when I'm not on YouTube. The Spotify playlists are better, too.

Let's get started!

BTS
"Run"
I just got into Korean music (mainly Kpop so far) a couple months ago and it's still making up the majority of what I'm listening to right now. THERE'S A LOT TO EXPLORE. For some reason, it took me a long time to give BTS's music a try. Then I chanced upon the video for "War of Hormone," which I LOVE. Then I listened to more of their music! "Run" is one of my favorites to listen to. (I'm including a live version because the MV is a lot longer.)

Melanie Martinez
"Teddy Bear"

I looovvvee Melanie Martinez' sound and lyrics. Her videos kinda scare me, but they're some of the most creative ones I've seen. Plus, they definitely go with the whole story of the Dollhouse album and her Cry Baby alter ego. I don't love "Teddy Bear" as much as my favorites "Dollhouse," "Tag, You're It," "Play Date," or many of her other songs, but it's still pretty good.

The How to Get Away With Music Soundtrack
"I Come With Knives"
I didn't even THINK to look for a HTGAWM soundtrack until I came across it on Spotify. I've been listening to it while reading this week, even though what I've been reading don't really match the vibe the songs give. Even though I don't remember exactly when the songs played, they still remind me of the show so much. I love them!

Hailee Steinfeld, Grey ft. Zedd
"Starving"

I'm adoring Hailee Steinfeld's music! "Starving" is the one that pushed me to listen to her Haiz album. "You're Such A" and "Love Myself" are my favorites, though "Starving" follows closely behind.

EXID
"Ah Yeah"

EXID is one of my favorite Kpop groups!! I have to admit that I don't think their music is as great as other groups I've been listening to, but after I discovered them through the "Every Night" MV, I practically had their songs on repeat. "Ah Yeah" is my favorite! It's my favorite video, too, because of the little bit of humor at the end.

Ailee
"Don't Touch Me"

Like with BTS, it took me awhile to pay attention to Ailee. I don't know why I wasn't that interested before, but then I listened to this song and realized that she is really good. I'm still in the beginning stages with her music (AKA listening to "Don't Touch Me" and "I Will Show You" over and over), so I haven't heard many of her songs yet.

G-Dragon
"Crooked"

I don't like this MV, but I like the song! Big Bang was the first Korean group that I got really into (thanks to "Fantastic Baby") and G-Dragon was the first male solo artist that I started listening to. I don't listen to a lot of his songs, but I really like "Crooked," "Heartbreaker," and "Crayon." And ooh! "Without You" (feat. Rosé of Blackpink) and "Baby Good Night" (with TOP) are two of my other favorites.

Andy Grammar
"Fresh Eyes"

I'm not really a fan of Andy Grammer, but this song has snuck up on me!! I think I was a little bored the first time I heard it, but then I started listening to it more and now I absolutely adore it. It feels like a song I could easily pair with a good contemporary romance book.

Red Velvet
"Russian Roulette"

Getting into Red Velvet's songs has been a rocky process for me (and I'm realizing there's at least 20 that I haven't heard yet), but some of them seem to be favorites of mine! I love "Dumb Dumb," but it took me three or four times to get into it. Same goes for "Russian Roulette." I love it now, but it felt so meh the first time I watched the MV. 

Block B
"Jackpot"

When I discovered Block B, I think my ears felt like they were doing a happy dance. Something about their sound and vocals work so well for me. I also LOVE how silly get in some of their MVs. They're a fun group. ☺

Mamamoo
"Mr. Ambiguous"

I was going to stick to 10 songs, but Mamamoo is my newest favorite group and I HAVE to mention them. I still have a lot to explore, but I'm loving this group's retro/jazz sound. Some of their songs have more of it than others ("Mr. Ambiguous" and "Piano Man" > "Taller Than You"), but I'm loving that variety. I like their vocals more than a lot of other groups I listen to.

Honorable Mentions
This is my first time talking about Korean music in a blog post, so I'm taking advantage of this moment to mention other artists/groups I'm into.

AOA's songs are ridiculously catchy, so I've been listening to those a lot. "Good Luck" and "Like a Cat" are my favorites. I discovered TaeYang's "Wedding Dress" and am now thinking that he's my favorite Big Bang member. I love "1, 2, 3, 4" by Lee Hi, but haven't explored much more by her. Wheesung's "Hold Over" (ft. LE from EXID) is one of my favorite songs right now. I really like a lot of songs by iKon, but haven't been listening to them as much as other groups lately. Same goes for AKMU and 2ne1. I'm into one song by f(x) ("Hot Summer"), Super Junior ("Sorry, Sorry"), IU ("Twenty-three"), Twice ("Like Ooh-Ahh"), and Oh My Girl ("Liar Liar"), but nothing else by them has stuck with me just yet. I really like Blackpink and am excited for them to release more music.

What have you been listening to lately? Do you love any of these songs or artists/bands? Do you have any recommendations for who to start listening to next??

Happy reading! ~ Kaitlin ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.