Saturday, November 5, 2016

15 Books I Put On Pause This Year

I DNF some books and pause others. The ones I put on pause are the ones that I'm planning to return to in the near future--ha, like that happens--when I am more in the mood for it/better prepared to read it/have access to it again. I've done that with a total of 15 books throughout the year, which both feels like SO MANY yet such a manageable few.

Here goes the list . . .

Cam Girl - This is sorta a DNF, but only for the sake of Netgalley. I had an e-arc and tried it both in September 2015 then again at the beginning of this year, but for some reason, I just . . . stopped reading halfway through both times. It was well on its way to being a five star read! I need to read it without a deadline/that worry that I'm reviewing it late, though.

Because You'll Never Meet Me - I'm not sure why I put this one pause . . . It's pretty good, but I think it was just slow?

Bloodhound - You know when you try to read a sequel and you barely remember the first book? Yeah, that's what happened. I was barely familiar with the characters. Plus, I had borrowed the audiobook and it just wasn't working out for me.

Code Name Verity - I started reading this during a readathon and it was a really bad time since the book requires a lot of attention. What I read was wonderfully written, but I need to be able to fully immerse myself in the story so I can get as much out of it as I can. I've since gotten the audiobook, which I've heard is amazing!

Public Enemies - I wasn't in the mood! I had recently read and enjoyed the first book, but sometimes diving back into a series soon afterward makes me feel bored with the characters/concept.

Ruin and Rising - This was both on purpose and on accident? I was reading the Very Last Big Event (which every ending to fantasy series have) and I decided to stop right in the middle of it and wait until I wasn't nearly as emotionally involved. I meant to only pause it for a day or two, but that was in July and I still haven't gone back to it . . . *hides face*

You Were Here & Girl in the Blue Coat - I'm grouping these two together because BAD TIMING. I tried to read these both at the same time, but I also think I was trying to read a bunch of other things. And it was during/right after a readathon. I made it pretty far into You Were Here, but I may have read 20 pages of Girl in the Blue Coat. They're both good! From what I've read.

The Lies of Locke Lamora - I wasn't ready for this! I'm still very new to epic fantasy and I decided that I needed to put this on pause and read more of the genre (maybe not "epic," per se, but at least adult high fantasy) to prepare for this large book.

You Should Pity Us Instead - This could be a DNF, but I think I decided I wanted to get back to it another time. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for short stories at the time? I don't know. I remember not being very impressed for some reason.

The Steep and Thorny Way - This is unfortunately a library book that I had to take back before I could really give it much of a try. Sometimes I go a tad bit overboard with library books and don't get to everything I want to.

Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - I have discovered that I'm incredibly intimidated by this book! THERE'S SO MUCH LOVE FOR IT? WHAT IF I DON'T LOVE IT? It's possible. The writing style was a bit different from what I'm used to and I got very nervous about the idea of not loving the book. A reading slump hit me right after I started it, too, so ugghhh. That wasn't a happy reading week.

Shelter - I started this either a day or two before I planned to take it back to the library and after reading a couple chapters, I decided that I  couldn't rush through it. I don't want a deadline hanging over my head as I read this one. It has a really good start.

Nevernight - This is pretty much the same situation as Shelter, though I decided I needed more time with it because I thought it would take me forever to get into the writing and story. I think the narration threw me off? I wasn't into the way the story was being told, but for all I know, I'll be really into it when I pick it up again.

Map of Fates - Once upon a time, I had this sudden desire to read a bunch of sequels. I didn't make it far. So, I had picked up Map of Fates on a whim. It wasn't a type of story that I was in the mood for at all nor was the first book memorable enough for me to grasp what was happening in the sequel.

I plan to get back to all of these, but which ones do you think I should try to get to sooner rather than later?

Happy reading! ~ Kaitlin ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.